Tuesday, January 20, 2015

January Week 2: Penguins

Science
We started the week by reading a non-fiction book about penguins to learn a few facts. Then we made a can/have/are chart. I'd never heard of such a thing before, but they're all over Pinterest, and I thought it'd be a good way to reinforce what we read.
Lucy dictated. I wrote.
Math
Another thing I found on Pinterest was this cereal box penguin. I printed the free image and had Lucy glue it to a Cheerios box, then I cut out its mouth as well as a bunch of construction paper fish.

I gave Lucy all the fish and told her to start with a certain number - say 9, then feed the penguin 5 of the fish and see how many she had left. After each "feeding," Lucy wrote the equation we had just done.
Her sixes look a lot like eights. Haha.
We also did this free printable worksheet from the Printable Princess:
Literacy
We worked again on CVC words with another free printable from the same learning pack by the Printable Princess:
Lucy got one wrong on "What's in the Middle" and had a total meltdown when I pointed it out to her.
Literature
The most popular penguin book by far on Pinterest was Tacky the Penguin. I'd never even heard of it, but ordered it through the library so we could read it and do this fun little craft:
This website has a printable template for all the pieces to this penguin. Lucy cut out the template pieces, then I traced them on construction paper and cut those out. Lucy assembled them all and chose the scrapbook papers for his shirt and tie.

Sight Words
My favorite activity of the week was this sight word game. Lucy got "Don't Break the Ice" for Christmas and I thought it fit perfectly with our winter/penguin/Arctic theme. I wrote each of her sight words on a circle sticker, then Lucy put the stickers on the ice blocks.

We played the game as usual, but every time one of us knocked out a block of ice, we had to read the word on it. It was a big hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment