Monday, January 26, 2015

Pizza Parlor Sight Words


Our theme for this week was pizza. We had fun reading pizza books and doing pizza math facts, but I wanted to make up a fun pizza sight word game too. Lena got the Melissa and Doug pizza set for Christmas, so I used that as my jumping off point. I wrote all Lucy's sight words on circle stickers and attached them to the toppings, then arranged them like so:

I also wanted to include the "new" typewriter Lucy got for Christmas, so I told Lucy to make a menu with the typewriter. I wrote down all her sight words and had her type them. She only made it a few words before declaring it too hard. She doesn't know where the letters are on the keyboard so it takes her forever to find each one. It was way too daunting a task to do all 21 sight words. So we eventually compromised. She read the word to me and I typed it.

After our menu was finished, I instructed Lucy to put on her apron and get a notebook and pen so she could be a waitress. I told her that I had five friends and we each wanted something different on our pizza. Then I gave her my order.
Because each Melissa and Doug pizza slice has space for three toppings, I ordered three different words each time. Lucy wrote down the words in her notebook:

Then she went to the "kitchen" and assembled my pizza.
Checking her note.
Finished product!
She did three slices that way before she got sick of writing down my order every time. Eventually, I just called out what I wanted and she picked the correct word/topping off the tray to add to my pizza.

Lucy is a big fan of pretend play so this was right up her alley. She loved it and it was great practice for identifying and writing sight words. Win win!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool! I'm impressed that she can both write and read the words!

    ReplyDelete