Monday, September 1, 2014

Circle Time Board and Homeschool Organization

Our homeschool season begins tomorrow! I've been planning feverishly for a month, and now it's finally time! Of course, I am an epic procrastinator. We spent all weekend camping, but came home last night specifically so I'd have time to finish everything today. I'm so happy with how everything turned out!

Mostly, I needed to make our "circle time" board today. I didn't want to do the work of making it myself, but couldn't rationalize the expense of buying one. It wasn't difficult. Just time consuming. But I love the finished product!



And one picture with my model. :-)
The letter, number, sight words, and verse of the week are all Velcro - so we can change them every week. The calendar, 100 days countdown and weather chart are also Velcro since those will change every once in a while, too. The rest is stuck down with strong double-sided tape. And everything is laminated with my fantastic new laminator!! 


Lucy will fill in a day on the chart every time we do school (to work our way to 100). And I love the idea of graphing the weather each month instead of just doing a daily "weather report."

The base is a $4.99 tri-fold board from Sparta Variety. All the printables are from Pinterest (links below).

Months of the Year/Days of the Week
Calendar
The Countdown to 100 Days and Weather Graph are from blessedbeyondadoubt's free printable pack available only when you subscribe to her email list. Totally worth it for all the freebies!

  • Countdown to 100 Days (pg. 23 of the Calendar Notebook)
  • Weather Graph (starts with January on pg. 24 of the Calendar Notebook)

Sight Words
Letter Flashcards
"...of the Week" signs (I actually made these on picmonkey)

The number flashcards are something we already owned.
There's a place for "verse of the week" under the days of the week. I just plan on making pictures in picmonkey to go with it. Here's the first one:

I also worked on organizing our "classroom" today. We live with my parents and it's already tight quarters, so I definitely don't have a whole room to use. We're going to be doing circle time in the living room and "desk" work in the dining room:

Most of my stuff is organized in this little area. Paper, stickers, every day craft supplies in the purple drawers on the left. "Teacher" supplies in the orange bin (glue, Velcro dots, scissors - stuff I don't want my 19 month old to get into). Daily folders in the basket. Crate with markers. Some kind of fruit crusher that has nothing to do with homeschooling. Just decoration. ;-)
This cupboard had dishes on top, but just a mess of random things below. I re-organized to make room for this lesser-used stuff:
Workbooks that are still a little too advanced, letter stickers, random scrapbooking stuff, etc.

So there you have it! We are organized and ready to go!! I'll be back at the end of the week with a report on how it went!

2 comments:

  1. Your circle time board is great!! If I didn't already have a magnetic calendar/weather board I would totally make one of these!

    Nice organization. That's my plan for this evening :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The board turned out great!! I love the weather chart too -- maybe I'll do something similar in my storytime this year to keep track of it. I felt like what I did over the summer (the "daily report") was lacking. Have a great first week!

    ReplyDelete