Friday, September 19, 2014

Literature: Green Eggs and Ham

My original plan for this week was to read Elmer the Elephant for our "E" unit. But I ordered it too late through the library catalog and it still hasn't arrived. So yesterday, I looked through our massive piles of books and found one that I knew would have a wealth of inspiration on Pinterest: Green Eggs and Ham.

Before I read the book, I told Lucy to listen for rhyming words. She did great at picking them up. Then we did this project that I had prepared earlier:

It's a bunch of rhymes from the book on self-correcting green eggs! (Printable here.) I pointed out to Lucy that almost all of the rhymes ended with the same letters: ham/Sam, tree/see, house/mouse, etc. There was one rhyme that didn't follow that pattern (car/are), so we talked about how different letter combinations can make the same sound. And there was one egg on the printable that I didn't cut out because I didn't think it really rhymed (here/there).

Lucy breezed through the rhyming activity, so we moved on to painting. I had her find a green plastic egg from our stash, then gave her a plate with green paint on it, a blank sheet of paper, and had her go at it.

After she covered the paper in circles, she turned the egg over and dipped the pointy end in the paint, then dabbed inside all her big circles to make them look more like eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment