Saturday, September 20, 2014

Week 3 Recap

Letter: short e
Number: 3
Sight Words: to, you, yes
Verse: "God loved us and sent his son." (Parts of 1 John 4:10)

Bible Lesson
We read the story of the Wise Men searching for Jesus, did a fun star craft, made some crowns for the wise men, and incorporated a lot of "searching" in our week's routine, as you'll see . . .

Alphabet Activities/Sight Words
Since we worked on letter "e" this week, we broke out the Easter eggs! Our first activity was an egg letter hunt. I could only find 12 eggs, so I picked the letters Lucy tends to struggle with (b, d, p, q, etc.). I put letters in eggs (along with M&Ms), hid them around the house, then had Lucy find them. Before she could eat the candy, she had to tell me the name of the letter and the sound it makes. Later in the week, we did the same thing with all of the 9 sight words we've learned over the past 3 weeks. This activity was a huge hit and one she wanted to do over and over. I think the candy may have been a huge part of that. Haha.

And I couldn't pass up the letter "E" without some mention of Elsa! I found this awesome printable on Pinterest. You're supposed to dab the dots individually with q-tips. You can see how quickly she got bored of that . . .

Math
We focused on shapes this week, by having a shape scavenger hunt around the house. I armed Lucy with my camera and a checklist of shapes to find. She had a blast!


Literature
I made this unit up on the fly since the book I intended to use didn't come in through the library's interloan program in time. Thanks to good ole Pinterest, though, we managed to come up with some fun activities for Green Eggs and Ham, including a rhyme match and egg painting.


We took it easy again this week. I laid off on the worksheets for the most part. She did two sight word worksheets, one "3" worksheet, and an "E" worksheet. I had to bribe her to do all of them. Haha. Maybe I should just start calling it "incentives" or "rewards." "Bribe" is such a dirty word. She's getting a little bored with the same circle time stuff every day. I might have to start brainstorming ways to freshen that up. And she already has our "days of the week" song memorized. I tell her that we still have to sing it every day so Lena can learn it too. ;-)

Overall, it's still going well. Next week is letter "a," so we're going to do an apple theme. However, I'm totally overwhelmed by the plethora of apple themed units on Pinterest, so I need to buckle down and make some decisions. Stay tuned! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment