Friday, September 5, 2014

Week One: Complete!

Well the first week was a success! I learned a few things, was surprised by a few things, and was overall pleased with how it went. Here's a quick  ridiculously long recap:

On Tuesday morning, I gave Lucy a little "first day of school" surprise. If she was going to real school, she'd get a backpack, lunch box, and other fun school supplies. So I bought her an Elsa lunchbox (that she thinks is a backpack - haha), a Frozen folder and Frozen notebook. Then I printed off a sign for her to hold:

Lucy was so excited to be starting school and she wanted to get started right away. Lena ended up sleeping through circle time, but Lucy loved it. Then we did our fun alphabet activity: igloo building. I was very impressed with my artistic abilities in drawing an igloo:

The lowercase letters are written on Avery labels and cut in half. I "hid" them all around the house (just sticking them on stuff), then Lucy found them and put them on their corresponding uppercase letter. She loved it and did so much better than I thought she would. She knows her lowercase letters better than I give her credit for.

Then, we moved on to our book work. She did two worksheets about the letter i, then one about the sight word "it."

Then I had her write "Ii, 1, it, and, the" on her manuscript paper. We've got a ways to go with handwriting. Haha.
Sorry. Bad photography
At this point, I offered her a break, but she wanted to keep going! So we read our Bible story - the Birth of Jesus - from the Jesus Bible Storybook. While I was reading to Lucy, Lena was playing in the living room. Or so I thought. I decided to go check on her and found her in my brother's room pouring water all over his table. Oops! 

After reading the Bible story, we did our Superhero Lesson and moved on to our craft. Lucy didn't like the craft and ended up throwing a big fit. But we powered through and finished the "Jesus is my superhero" cape:
Wednesday
We're usually going to take Wednesdays off, but since this was already a short week thanks to Labor Day, we just did one small lesson. We did a worksheet about the sight word "the" and repeated the number, letter, sight word writing. Then we learned about senses. We did a blindfolded "test" to see if she could identify common objects by smell, taste, touch, and sound. Here's my list:

Taste: lemon (sour), pickle (salty), cocoa powder (bitter), sugar (sweet)


Sound: keys jingling, me brushing my teeth, me cutting a piece of paper, shaking a box of macaroni
Smell: peanut butter, shampoo, toothpaste, ranch dressing (this was the only one she didn't get)
Touch: tape, marshmallows, ice, a balloon

Thursday
On Thursday we did math. I gave Lucy a ruler and helped her measure a bunch of different stuff. I pointed out that "inches" starts with "i", and had her write the number each time. It amazes me that she can write "5" correctly, but not "7" (the last one). Haha.

Lucy did a number one worksheet, and wrote her letter, number, and sight words again. When I offered her a break this day, she took it. I had just gotten a busy box out for Lena, and Lucy was much more interested in it than Lena was. Haha.
She did not, however, want her picture taken.
Later in the day, we did literature. I read "Curious George Builds an Igloo" to Lucy, then she built an igloo out of a plastic bowl, cup, frosting, and marshmallows.
Lena enjoyed this project, too.
Finished product! I was impressed that Lucy stuck with it and finished the whole thing!
Friday
Today we played Alphabet Bingo, with our sight words thrown in for good measure. She's having a harder time with the sight words than I expected her to, so we're practicing them whenever we can. She did an "and" sight word page, her usual manuscript work, then some more senses work. 

We did a sucker taste/smell test inspired by this
My marker stopped working after the first line. Lucy was a decent guesser!
Then Lucy made a senses book with pictures I had cut out from a magazine earlier.
This picture is a pot of boiling water. Haha. Interesting.
And that concludes the ridiculously long recap! I have some questions and concerns to share, but I'll save that for another post. :-) I'll also have an entry up soon about our busy boxes - which have been a huge hit with Lucy!! Thanks for reading this far!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a great first week!! I love the igloo craft.

    Lucy's handwriting is already better than Orion's! I have been pleased that he's actually coloring, though :) Sounds like he and Lucy have opposite strengths!

    ReplyDelete