Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Literature: Short U and "Up"

We're working on the short vowel "u" this week, and our sight word is "up." So it only seemed appropriate that we read Disney's "Up." I searched in the library catalog and found the following two books:

My Name is Dug

This doesn't really tell the story of the movie. It's mostly just about Dug, the dog. But I was thrilled to realize that his name is spelled "Dug" instead of "Doug," which lent itself nicely to practicing the short u sound. In the book, Dug also talks a lot about peanut butter, which also has a couple of nice short u sounds. :-)

Bird's Best Friend

Truth be told, I've only seen the movie "Up" once, so I didn't remember much about it. I was so happy to flip through this book and see that in addition to Dug the dog, the kid's name is Russell, the house lands in a jungle, and the bad guy's name is Muntz! Perfect!

After reading the books and finding as many short u's as possible, we did a fun craft:

I was inspired by this, but I'm a bad mom and hate finger-painting. Plus, Lucy adores using "squeeze" glue, so I knew she'd love gluing the pom-poms on. Then, I had her write "Up" on the paper to reinforce this week's sight word. Isn't it cute??

No comments:

Post a Comment