Friday, October 17, 2014

Candy Corn Math and Fun

This week's theme is "All Things Fall." We started with something I knew would interest Lucy: candy! I gave her a bowl of candy corn, then let her roll two dice and add the numbers she got with the candy corn counters.

I wrote down the equations she made as we went. Then she started to eat them, so I used that as the perfect opportunity to introduce subtraction. She grasped that concept as easily as addition, which comes as no surprise to me.
She wrote her own equation for the last one. It says 1+3=4. Can you tell? Haha.
Then we made a candy corn banner just for fun. I forgot to take a picture of the before, but this is what it looked like:
Source
I gave Lucy a bowl and a cup to trace on a paper plate, then we looked at a piece of candy corn to figure out where to paint the colors. Then I cut the triangles and she helped me thread it on a piece of twine to hang in our "school room."

No comments:

Post a Comment