Friday, October 31, 2014

Week 8: Pumpkins Galore!

Alphabet Activities
We're continuing our work with word families, to drive home sounding out letters and using vowels appropriately in CVC words. I made up this little pumpkin patch activity for our pumpkin theme.

The word family work is serving its purpose. I was looking through some old books today and found "Hop on Pop." I flipped through it with Lucy and had her read the parts I knew she could sound out. She did great! It was also cool for her to read the sight words she's been learning in actual sentences in an actual book. She was so proud of herself! As was I!

Math
Lucy is a stellar counter, but until this week couldn't make it farther than 49. I realized it's because she doesn't know the numbers 50, 60, etc. So this week we learned to count by tens and identify those bigger numbers. I printed out the "10s" chart from this free printable pack:
Courtesy of blessbeyondadoubt.com
First, I had her dab the numbers 10, 20, 30, etc. with a Bingo dabber. I counted in a sing-song voice as she dabbed. Since she already knows 10-40, I explained that 50 is the last tricky one she's just going to have to memorize, but then the rest are easy. You just look at the first number and add a "dee" to it. Six-dee, seven-dee, and so on. She caught on in no time. Then, I labeled 10 pumpkins 10-100 and had her arrange them in numerical order.

We also did this worksheet, to practice counting by 10s, and show how you can use counting by tens to add.
I pretended the candy is all a part of the pumpkin/Halloween theme. ;-) Worksheet from education.com.
Today, for the first time, she sat down with her 10s chart and pointed to every number, counting aloud to 100. Mission accomplished!

Sight Words
On Monday, we did this sight word game that I forgot to do during our spider theme last week.
I got the free printable from education.com, and wrote sight words randomly throughout the web. We used a regular die (instead of the one you can print from the website) and identified sight words as we landed on them.

And today we did Bingo again. I'm running out of creative sight word ideas . . .

Literature
We read the following pumpkin-themed books:
The Pumpkin Mystery - this one was long, but had a fun surprise about how new pumpkins grow from old pumpkin seeds.
Pumpkin Cat - this had nothing to do with pumpkins, but was a cute story about a cat living in a library. I love any book about libraries. 
Pumpkin Jack - the pumpkin book favored by preschools across the nation. A fun look at a pumpkin's life cycle. Lucy loved that the pumpkin had a name. 
While I was reading the books, Lucy sorted through my bag of tissue paper squares to find all the orange ones. She does so much better with listening to books when she has something to do with her hands.

Then we made a totally un-original tissue paper pumpkin on a paper plate. (Whew! Points for alliteration!) I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but it looks a lot like this:
Source
Pumpkin Fun!
It wouldn't be a pumpkin unit without some pumpkin carving and seed roasting.
I used this genius tip from Pinterest that is probably common sense to most people: put trash bags on the table before you start so you can just scoop up all the goop and mess in one fell swoop.
I used this recipe.
We also made these fun jack-o-lantern quesadillas:

And today, while I was prepping our activities, the girls had a blast simply drawing on the pumpkins with pens. Who knew that'd be so entertaining?

We're taking next week off from school. (We'll just call it fall break. ;-) ) But I'll be back in two weeks with more wit, wisdom, and delightful pinspiration for all your homeschool needs! ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment