Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Letter O and Monsters

We've reached our last vowel: O. We're focusing on short vowel sounds, so I didn't want to do Owls or Oceans. But I also didn't want to spend a whole week on Octopuses . . . Octopi . . . whatever. So I was struck with the brilliant idea to do a mOnster theme! Lucy needs to learn that vowels occur elsewhere than just the first letter of words, and there's a wealth of monster inspiration on Pinterest. This first idea, however, was actually my own.

I drew a bunch of mouthless monsters on fluorescent index cards, then had Lucy add the letter "o" for a mouth on each of them. I told her that these weren't scary monsters, they were scared monsters, all shouting "ahhhhh!!" And incidentally enough, the letter o says "ahh!" (At least here in the midwest. ;-) )

I am not artistically creative in the least. I stole most of these from this free printable

Ahhh! We're so scared! 

1 comment: