Sunday, October 26, 2014

Week 7 Recap: Spiders!

In the spirit of Halloween, we spent last week studying spiders. I'm starting to get a little lackadaisical with school, as you'll notice in this recap. We're going to do a pumpkin theme next week, but then I think we're going to take a week off. I need to regroup and get excited again. It's starting to get boring - which isn't good for me or Lucy. Anyway, here are our spider activities:

We started the week by reading some spider facts via this free printable:

Alphabet Activities
I introduced word families for the first time, now that we know the vowels. I decided to pick a consonant and then work on all the blends we could make with it. We did "t" so our blends were -at, -et, -it, -ot, ut. I found this great idea on Pinterest to make a word family spider. Lucy amazed me with how well she caught on. I thought about writing the "at" part on each of the legs, but she ended up writing each word by herself without a complaint! (I didn't want to overwhelm her on the first day, so we only did the "-at" blend.)

At first, I just asked her to think of some -at words, and she came up with a few. After she couldn't think of anymore, we got out the alphabet cards and went through them one by one to see if we could make words. "Bat: word! Cat: word! Dat: not a word." I didn't count ahead of time, but it worked perfectly that we came up with 8 words for the spider's 8 legs. (I know vat is a word, but I didn't think Lucy would recognize it. ;-) )


Later in the week, to reiterate the blends/word families, we got out the Scrabble tiles to make some words. I searched the Teachers Pay Teachers website for free word family worksheets and found these ones. The pictures were admittedly tricky. I had to tell Lucy what most of them were. And I think there was a mistake on one of the sheets, but that's what I get for being cheap. ;-)
The mistake. They're all supposed to be "ut" words, but that last one has got to be "bus."
She loved this activity and really sounded out each letter to make the words. 
Lena loved it too! 
Math
I saw this little diagram on Pinterest and knew I could turn it into a spider activity:
I loved the idea of seeing how many ways we can get to 8, and identifying patterns in addition. So we made another spider and started adding:
In case you can't tell, I wrote the first number and the plus sign, and Lucy filled in the number we needed to get to 8.
She did great with the first few (1+7, 2+6), but started to get confused around 3,4,5(I had her fix the 3 and 4 after I took the picture.) and then took off again with 6,7, and 8. (She surprised me with her knowledge of  0, although I know she's seen the Curious George episode about 0 roughly 16,000 times.) And it didn't really work to include the equal sign once we got to the right side of the spider. I didn't think ahead enough. Haha.

We also did a little spider graphing. I found a packet of multi-colored spider rings for $1 in the dollar bins at Target. There are the same amount of each color, so I just hid a few of each color before giving them to Lucy, so our chart would show some variation. I couldn't find a printable graph that was quite what I was looking for, so I made a very rough one in Excel. Lucy counted the spiders, then filled in the appropriate number for each color.
I forgot there were four colors when I made the graph, so I drew in another column. Haha. We're high tech around here.
We talked about which color had the most and which had the least. Then we made a graph out of the spiders themselves for another visual:

Literature
I had a surprisingly difficult time find books about spiders at the library, so we ended up just reading Eric Carle's classic, The Very Busy Spider. My super-inspired, creative craft was to punch some holes in a paper plate and give Lucy a skein of yarn to thread through it. We added one of the spider rings at the end.

I totally flaked on sight words for the week. She did a couple sight word worksheets, but that was it. Oops! And, in case you've been wondering, I haven't totally dropped Bible lessons from our curriculum. I've just decided to use her Cubbies lessons instead of coming up with my own thing. We do a lesson, she learns a verse, and there's usually one other hands-on activity to go along with it. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment