Friday, October 17, 2014

Make a Tree: Short Vowel Review

This is our 6th week of school, so we're finally done learning vowels. I was going to move right on to consonants, but decided we better spend a week reviewing the vowels. I'm glad we did. Lucy needed the review.

Since we're talking about fall this week, I came up with this fall vowel activity.

I bought two packages of leaves at Sparta Variety, then printed off this set of short vowel word pictures:
Free Printable
I laminated the page, cut out the pictures, and put each one on a leaf with poster putty.
I wrote the names of some of the trickier pictures with a dry erase marker.
I was originally going to cut tree trunks out of brown paper, but decided that was too much work and just used the wood beams we have laying around the house. I attached a vowel to each beam, then told Lucy to match the pictures to the correct vowels in order to make trees. 



She loved it, did the project in its entirety (which is unlike her), and really had to think to figure out each vowel sound. She really struggled at first, but was getting the hang of it by the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment