Monday, October 20, 2014

Week 6 Recap: Fall Fun

Theme: Fall
Letter: Short vowel review
Number: 1-5 review
Verse: "For you created all things." (Part of Revelation 4:11)

Alphabet Activity
I wanted to spend a week reviewing the short vowels. Lucy can definitely identify them, but she struggles a little bit with their sounds - especially "e". So we worked on them all week, starting with this leaf activity:
Apparently I deleted the rest of the pictures from my phone, and they're not showing up on my blog entry anymore. Weird. Well, hopefully you get the idea.

Alphabet App
While browsing "short vowel activities" on Pinterest, I came across a review of this app. I don't usually pay for apps, but it was only $2.99 and looked like something Lucy would be interested in, so I forked over the 3 bucks. Lucy has actually played it a bunch of times, and seems to be catching on.

Math
We used another fall favorite for our math activity this week: candy corn! Lucy's a big fan of any activity involving candy, so I knew this would be a hit. She rolled two dice then used the candy corn as counters to add the numbers. When she started eating them, I took that as an opportunity to introduce subtraction. :-) And we wrote out the equations each time so she starts to get a feel for written math problems.


While we were working with candy corn, we took the opportunity to make this cute candy corn banner I found on Pinterest:

Literature
We read a few books about leaves:

Then we did a couple fun crafts/activities:
Coffee filter watercolors
Leaf Collage

Leaf Rubbing
Free Learning Packet
To supplement the activities we did all week, I downloaded this free packet from Mama's Learning Corner. Lucy did the missing vowels worksheet, the pattern page, and the number count page. I love these kind of free resources!!
Click here to get the packet


No comments:

Post a Comment